jeffwhite

Hall of Fire

A tale well remembered is worth more than gold.

The Hobbit

The Hobbit - J.R.R. Tolkien It has been a couple of decades since I read this book, so with the impending release of the movie I felt this was as good a time as any to reread it. The Hobbit is a classic work but it has a fundamentally different tone than The Lord of the Rings. There is a lyrical quality and sense of play to the text that is not found in its sequel. That makes sense given that Bilbo is the primary character but those who have read The Lord of the Rings first may find it a bit silly at times. However, I felt the lighter tone was suitable for the story and did not detract from enjoying the book. Events flow fairly quickly so there is almost a dreamlike feel to the story which makes it suitable for children and adults. As the menace increases towards the end of the tale it ventures into territory more familiar to fans of the sequel. The trajectory of the book also reminds us that sometimes stories may end in ways that you might not expect -- which is fitting given the unexpected journey of Bilbo Baggins out of his hobbit-hole.